Friday, November 11, 2011

Sleepy Hollow

We did a fun thing this year for Halloween.  My brother is in Sleepy Hollow at the local theater here.  I've really not known the story very well but remembered really liking the Disney version as a kid.  I suppose that's not surprising.  I've always liked most things Disney.  So, for school we decided to do a little unit on it.

Since I read to the girls all the time (we're just finishing up Prince Caspian right now) we took a little break from what we were in at the time and read the original by Washington Irving.  That was really cool.  It was a good vocabulary builder for me, I'm sad to say. :)  We also looked up the actual town of Sleepy Hollow on Google Earth.  It was fun to see streets like Katrina Ave and such. LOL

Next, I found the Disney version on YouTube and we watched that.  That was fun. :)

Disney's Sleepy Hollow

Then, my brother came over and told the girls about the play version.  This play is actually written by a guy here (Jim Christian, if any of you know him) and this is the first time it's been performed outside of a collage.  I LOVED his take on it.  I love the music in it and the difference in how the characters were portrayed.  It made Brom likable and Ichabod not so much. :)

Lastly, we ended it by attending the play.  The girls LOVED it. :)

Little One and Ira with "Faas"

No comments:

Post a Comment