Sunday, March 25, 2012

Happy 1st Anniversary!

Okay, today is the last of our anniversaries.  We flew back from Ukraine a year ago today.  What a year it has been!  Here's to uphill from here on out. :)

As usual, these last three months have been even easier than the ones before.  Our hard days are here and there instead of ALL. THE. TIME.  Usually once she calms down we can talk about how her choices have influenced the consequences.  She still struggles to see that connection a lot of the time though.  I have had a few times where I've been able to mention how much happier she is when she's being obedient and she smiles and nods her head.  Hopefully I can get her to see that one of these days.  The problem with always blaming everyone else for everything that goes wrong in your life is that you are in no position to be able to fix anything.  You can't change other people or their choices so then change is never within your grasp and you continue to fall downward.  It's a hard lesson that most adults still haven't learned.  She'll be miles ahead of the game if she can realize that now and start applying the knowledge.

Still, things improve with her all the time.  Our relationship is growing and we are starting to feel like we all belong.  I'm eternally grateful to have that first year behind us though. :)

Cheers. *dinging of champagne glass filled with sparkling cider (or even better...our favorite cherry juice from Ukraine!*


1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you!
    What wonderful and true advice. Thanks for the reminder! I also wish more people honestly and truly understood it.

    ReplyDelete