Thursday, May 24, 2012

Homeschool Project - The Nile

After Spring Break we started a new history program and have been loving it!  So far I think our favorite section has been ancient Egypt.  Man, I want to go to Cairo!

First off we made a model of the Nile.  It didn't turn out quite like we'd wanted, but it was still very fun and the girls had a blast. :)

We made a river bed out of foil.  The delta started out easy to tell but became less so in the end.  Ah well.

Then they painted glue on the bottom so the river bottom (kitty litter) would stick.

Next was to fill the sides with dirt.

We sprouted some wheat for our grass.  Once it started to sprout we planted it.

Then we had to flood it, of course.

After a few days of flooding, we had some nice grass growing!

2 comments:

  1. Cool project! I love your Egypt ideas. I hope my kids have to do a project on Egypt someday so they can do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to The Story of the World history books. They've got an activity book that we're picking and choosing things out of too, which is where these ideas came from. We passed on mummifying a chicken.... ;) The website is http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/history-and-geography/story-of-the-world.html if you want to check it out.

      Delete