Thursday, August 30, 2012

Lewiston

After Seattle we headed to Lewiston, ID to visit with my Grandma.  It was really nice.  The first stop on the way was to one of my favorite places.  I'm strange and kinda like cemeteries.  This is one that I have some family buried at.  Some that I've heard about my whole life as well as at least one I knew.  I'm sure it's beautiful in early spring when things are green but it seems I'm always there mid-late summer when it's more like this.  It's still beautiful though, with those amber waves of grain.



I never knew Dora Alice, but I've always loved her name and wanted to use it someday.

This is my great grandpa









Next, we went into town and spent a couple of days with my Grandma.  It was so fun to watch the girls with her.  They both had fun picking things from the garden with her.  Figs, I believe, were their favorite thing to pick with her.  Little One, especially, seemed to have a special connection with her and followed her around everywhere.

Mom and Gram looking at cook books. :)

Little One and Mom helping to water



While we were there we got to go see Aunt Nessie.  She is my Great-Grandma's sister.  She is special to me because as long as she is alive (which I'm afraid won't be for much longer) we have 5 generations of "Louise's."  Her middle name is Louise, as is my Grandma's, my Mom's, mine, and Little One's.  This is all for HER mother's name, which is in the next picture.  Pretty cool!

This is my Great-Great-Grandmother's signature on the step at Aunt Nessie's house.

Just a few doors down is more family and the girls had fun playing with a new kitty.

Ira, Gram and Little One right before heading home


7 comments:

  1. Those pictures you took at the cemetery are fantastic.
    Cool about all the Louise's too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      I have a 5 generation picture when Little One was a baby. I wish I could have gotten one this time since she's older, but Aunt Nessie is confined to a hospital bed. I was planning on staying outside with the girls while Mom and Gram went in to see her, but we ended up being invited in. I thought that was a stretch and didn't want to push it and ask for a picture. I'm just glad I got to see her one last time. It was definitely good-bye. She told Mom to have a good life and the look in her eye said she knew it was the last time we'd see her.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE graveyards too! We should totally go field tripping! How fun. And I love that old church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since living by the cemetery and going running there a lot I have found them to be so peaceful. Ukrainian ones are a different story. They seem to cram as many headstones in as small a space as possible and I could see where you could feel freaked out. I've even run in "my" cemetery at night though and not been the least bit scared. I had to watch carefully for someone trying to take me, but it was still very peaceful. Not that I'd do that often though.... ;)

      The church was actually pictured in a National Geographic a few years ago. I was hoping to get a similar picture for myself and I don't know that I succeeded but I've at least got something.

      Delete
  3. It was in June of 1982...same month and year Grandma passed away. I happen to have an extra NG :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'll have to get me a copy someday. So, since you have one...are any of mine anywhere close to what they got?

      Delete
  4. They are great pictures! I love the one of the girls and Cooper, too!

    ReplyDelete